Walking "MOMbie"

I saw someone post a picture of a coffee cup on Pinterest this week that said,

"No coffee, No talkie"

That pretty much sums up how I've felt at least 5 out of the 7 days this past week! And if you know me well, you know I'm not naturally a morning person so little sleep and waking early is especially challenging for me (my three year old even asked me the other day at the breakfast table why I was crabby, sigh!)

Life is tiring right now.

We have a TWO week old...a THREE year old and TWO year old. Did you just say to yourself, "wow you're a busy mom"? Because most people do say that! In fact when I was nearing the end of my pregnancy with Olivia and people would see me (my huge belly) with the other two tots in tow, people would often make that same comment...it always made me laugh when people would say that phrase to my face! I usually respond with, yes but a VERY blessed mama!

Most of the days in the past two weeks I feel like a walking MOMbie...I'm not sleeping much (nor is my husband), I rarely get naps because my two older ones are demanding a lot of my attention and even though my mom is here in town to help, they don't always "let" her help. It's been an adjustment for all of us. In fact, the other afternoon I was woken up so abruptly after just falling asleep from feeding Olivia when child number one was screaming and child number two was also screaming and kicking in my bedroom door. Why you ask? They just wanted mommy after their naptime :) {side note: when I was re-telling that story to Steve after he got home from work, he replied, "well at least it wasn't the police screaming and busting in your door! Oh ok, yea I guess it could be worse ;) ha!}

But we expected that...adjustment (not so much all the screaming and kicking in of doors, but alas, that's how our two year old feels compelled to express emotions). So we acknowledge that with adjustment sometimes comes bad attitudes, greasy hair (seriously even if I get time to take a shower it still seems greasy... must be all the post pregnancy hormones!), short fuses, lots of crying from everyone (minus Steve!), disagreements, sleepless nights, potty accidents, etc.  

And thus, the need for an abundant amount of GRACE is needed.
Grace with each other (Steve and I) as we learn how to become parents of three kiddos; grace with our two older kiddos when they have whiny or screaming fits; grace with our newest bundle who demands a lot of mommy time (and seems to especially enjoy the 4 o'clock hour (and I mean 4:00am people!); grace with ourselves (mostly me) because it's not helping anyone out when we're so hard on ourselves!

So I blog, because writing has always been cathartic to me and is a life giving activity that I can do by myself, yet not really be by myself (because I really only have time to write as I am feeding the baby and rocking her to sleep. ie. right now!) "Me time" will come again one day, but for now I have said goodbye to it and that has decreased some frustrations that can easily build up in my mind. 

The reality is, life with littles is hard, demanding and can wear me out. I know these years are short lived and longer nights of sleeping are ahead (I hope!)

The things that have helped me (us) survive the past two weeks have been:
*countless meals brought over to us by servant friends, co-workers and neighbors {THANK YOU, THANK YOU!}
*my mom washing endless amounts of laundry and enduring the reverting habits of a once potty trained two year old's many accidents 
*thoughtful cards and gifts celebrating the arrival of Olivia
*many texts, calls, emails and messages to check on us and asking how we're doing (even if I haven't responded to all of them, I am seeing your messages and they're helping me endure days of little sleeping knowing I have friends who are praying for me and our family)
*short visits and conversations with dear friends who have listened to me complain and empathized with me while I cried
*wise words from more seasoned parents 

The two phrases that have gone through my head the most that others have said to us are,

"You love this!"
AND
"This season won't last forever!"

 The first phrase was said to me a few months back from a friend of ours at church (a father of two grown adult children) while I was talking to him about the many ups and downs of life with toddlers, to which he empathized but then quickly reminded me that, even though it's hard right now..."I do love this". And he is right on, we do love this. We love our kids, even on the difficult days. Of course,  I don't always love the  multiple middle of the night feedings, random tantrum fits, and how I can easily lose my patience with it all. But these are all consistent reminders that I have been given so much to be thankful for every day. So, sometimes we just need others to remind us and we need to remind ourselves often.

The second phrase I mentioned above is one that MANY parents have said to us, but has become especially vital for me to hear lately. I don't want to "hurry up" these years. In fact, I wouldn't trade these years in for anything in order to pass on to the next phase of childhood, AT ALL! As difficult as some days feel like to me, these little years are so special. Plus, I acknowledge that each season of parenting will hold it's own challenges. Our current season just happens to be sleeplessness ;) 

I'm embracing the refinement happening to me (to us as a married couple) and thanking The Lord (the One who created these three precious kids and entrusted them to our care) for blessing us so abundantly in this time of our lives. I'm continually asking The Lord for the grace to faithfully face each day in order to walk through the challenges and the joys well. I'm also thanking The Lord for my husband who has led us through the past two weeks so well (he's amazing!) and praying that God continues to allow Steve the strength to walk in such selfless graciousness toward us as he leads our family.

I won't be a walking MOMbie forever...but for now I'm embracing no make up, greasy hair, pajamas all day and the dark circles under my eyes...and drinking lots of coffee and reading my friend, Meg's "Fun" Pinterest board for lots of laughs to keep things real! So should you see me anytime soon with my glazed over look and think I need a pick me up, take note that I like vanilla lattes and will accept help anytime you want to watch my kiddos ;)

Baby is sleeping now, so should I...oh wait, now Karis is at our door...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding to the Family!

Dear Grandma...

Surprise Arrival!